NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE/BLENDED (SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS)
Gain the fundamental knowledge and skills required to become a Certified Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). We offer three different career paths to meet your busy needs to enter into the field of Paramedicine. If you require part-time studies or require full-time course, our program layout has you covered.
Participants will learn and demonstrate all knowledge and skills needed to provide appropriate patient assessments, interventions, and on-going care, including the transportation of a patient to a healthcare facility. Course content may vary depending on jurisdictional requirements and, in addition, follows the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP) as defined by the Paramedic Association of Canada.
Participants will be engaged in dynamic training techniques including video, media presentations, skills demonstrations, practice sessions, discussions and scenarios based on real-life situations.
Meets the Paramedic Association of Canada National Occupational Competency Profiles for the practitioner level of Emergency Medical Responder (EMR).
This course meets Newfoundland and Labrador Paramedicine Regulation (NLPR).
- Start anytime (See below)
- Professionals in emergency medical care who may be responsible for initial assessments, the provision of safe and prudent care, and the transport of a patient to the most appropriate healthcare facility.
This program will help you:
- Prepare for the Newfoundland and Labrador Paramedicine Regulation provincial exams.
- Gain the knowledge and skills to work in the field of Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
- Complete the program in as little as 10-12 days with our in-class and online blended program or within six (6) months with our self-directed program.
- Develop your skills through scenario-based learning.
- Learn from experienced and knowledgeable instructors.
- An opportunity to experience the field of EMS.
- Room for growth in the EMS field.
- 80-120 hours total
- In Class (85 hours)
- Online/Blended (40 online, 45 in class)
- Full-time: This course is offered monthly at our CBS location. Please see our schedule for dates and times.
- Full-time Blended: This course is offered through scheduled Zoom classes for theory over seven (7) consecutive evenings plus five (5) days of in-class hand on skill related training.
- Part-time Self-Directed Blended: This course is offered through our Learning Management System (LMS). It includes self review and study, assigned readings, workbooks activities and two Zoom review classes. Students must attend five (5) days of in-class hands on skills related training. Students can start immediately and take unto six (6) months to complete the requirements.
- Standard First Aid with CPR level C (offered online/blended)
- Successfully demonstrate the required skills
- Complete the course within six (6) months from the start date
- Minimum 75% mark for written, closed book, knowledge evaluation
- Successfully complete two evaluated scenarios (one medical and one trauma)
- Attend and participate in 100% of the course
- 3-year certification in Emergency Medical Responder
- (digital certificate issued upon successful completion)
- 40 hours
- The Professional Responder
- Responding to the call
- Infection prevention and control
- Anatomy and physiology
- Airway management and respiratory emergences
- Circulatory emergencies
- Hemorrhage and soft tissue trauma
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Chest, abdominal and pelvic injuries
- Head and spinal injuries
- Acute and chronic illnesses
- Environmental illnesses
- Pregnancy, labour and delivery
- Special populations
- Crisis intervention
- Reaching, lifting and extricating patients
- Multiple-casualty incidents
- Marine environment
- Includes any other content required by specific legislation
- Canadian Red Cross Professional Responder textbook
- Professional Responder Workbook
Training and Medical Supplies
The following training and medical supplies are available to students for free:
- WHMIS 2015 training
- Incident Command Systems 100 training
- Blood pressure cuff
- Assessment penlight
- EMS scissors
Once registration has been completed, supplies will be shipped to all online/blended students. In class students will receive their supplies on the first day of classes.
- Certification cards will be issued from Canadian Red Cross after completing the course and all fees are paid in full at Eastern Safety Services. Certificates will be available from Eastern Safety Services via email.
- Students are responsible to register with PMO once they receive certificates. PMO information packages are available after completing the course.
- Class 4 drivers license can be obtained by the Department of Motor Vehicle at Service NL. Eastern Safety Services do not provide class 4 drivers licence or the training.
- Online blended training is conducted via Zoom in the evening hours combined with 45 hours of in person training at our facilities.