Safety Management System
Eastern Safety Services can develop and maintain a Safety Management System (SMS) for your organization that combines a systematic approach to managing safety, including the necessary organizational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures. We provide products and services that are tailored your organizations Safety Management System.
Eastern Safety Services uses a comprehensive process for managing safety risks. As with all our management systems, Eastern Safety Services safety management systems provides for goal setting, planning, and measuring performance. A Safety Management System is woven into the fabric of an organization.
We have identified three imperatives for an effective safety management system – ethical, legal and financial.
There is a legal and moral obligation for employers to provide a safe workplace. There is a substantial body of research which identifies that effective safety management (which is the reduction of risk in the workplace) can reduce the financial exposure of an organization by reducing direct and indirect costs associated with accident and incidents.
To address these three important elements, an effective Safety Management System should:
- Define how the organization currently manages risk.
- Identify workplace risk and implement suitable controls.
- Implement effective communications across all levels of the organization.
- Implement a process to identify and correct non-conformities.
- Implement a continual improvement process.
Eastern Safety Services safety management systems can be created to fit any business type and/or industry sector. Since there are many models to choose from to outline the basic components of a safety management system, Eastern Safety Services will design the best system to meet your needs.
Eastern Safety Services has its own “Framework” which is composed of the following safety elements:
- Policy, Programs, Procedures Manual
- Incidents/near miss
- Miscellaneous items
Eastern Safety Services will use this framework to help your organization improve the ability to identify and remove hazards and decrease health and safety risk in the workplace. This framework helps you to understand:
- How a safety management system can benefit your organization
- The commitment and resources you will need in order to successfully implement a safety management system
- How you can adapt the safety management system to suit the specific needs of your organization